Sunday, July 28, 2019

Kitesurfing - Flag Beach Feurteventura - 28th July 2019


Kites everywhere! This beach looked great, a load of kites in the air, a kite school who offered hire and a rescue service, and lots of wind. What could be wrong?

Well, it turns out, plenty. First of all the only 'safe' place to enter the water was about 100m or so upwind, so they launched me and the first thing is you have to walk backwards up the beach against the wind.

Then I went into the water at the spot I thought I was supposed to, but it turned out still to be rocky underfoot - I hadn't gone far enough. Kite in one hand, board in the other, jagged rocks underfoot and big waves are a recipe for falling - and so I did. I ended up with a pretty nasty cut on my foot and a few on my hands.

Then when I got out into the water, somehow I lost my board, got it back, and then lost it again, as I came onto the rocks. I had to come in, I couldn't get to my board, and had to come back in across the jagged rocks again. What a horrible disastrous start to kitesurfing in Fuerteventura.

No comments: