Wednesday, January 24, 2018

eGalax 7" screen raspberry pi with sketch + GUI

I wanted a light installation of raspian, so I got sketch and added appropriate stuff to make x work.

To install GUI
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg lxde lightdm

This stuff was required to make the touchscreen work - otherwise the calibration just didnt do anything.

sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-input-evdev xinput-calibrator  evtest -y

cd /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
sudo mv 10-evdev.conf 45-evdev.conf

sudo vi 99-calibration.conf
add xinput_calibrator output, which should look like this:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
        Option  "Calibration"   "67 1948 1877 183"
        Option  "SwapAxes"      "0"

Monday, October 02, 2017

Broken Ribs

Three weeks ago today I had a kite-surfing accident and broke/fractured rib(s). At the time it was uncomfortable, but I carried on surfing for a few minutes, and it was time to pack up anyway.

I was able to pack up, get home, unpack the car, get out of my wet-suit etc, all a little uncomfortable, but really not too painful. The next morning I went to drive to work, and I got about 100 yards in the car and the clicking and pain was almost unbearable. It still makes me a bit light-headed to think about it.

I limped home, and ended up at home for 3 weeks.

The first week I really did no activities at all. I wasn't away from the house for the first week.

I got some stronger painkillers on prescription, and began taking them immediately. I struggled to do basic things like getting up the stairs, or standing and sitting. All week I lay exactly flat on my back all night without moving. Very uncomfortable.

By the time one week had passed, I was able to be a passenger in a car. I was able to get in and out of a car with a bit of care. However, at this stage I was struggling to get in and out of bed, I made sure I only made the transition from horizontal to vertical once per day. No laying about on the sofa, I only spent time sitting straight up during the day.

After about 10 days I tried driving a short distance, but it was still very uncomfortable, so I gave up driving for that second weekend. Each day I felt more comfortable, and at this stage I was able to sleep a bit on my side; my good side only, not the injured side.

Today, 3 weeks after my injury I returned to work. I'm still clicking a bit, and to be honest, driving is probably the activity I find most difficult. I'm much more comfortable sleeping, in fact last night was the first night I got to sleep on my injured side.

I still have some way to go, but I'm feeling incredibly better than I was, and each day brings an improvement. It wont be long before I'm strapped to a kite again ;)

Monday, September 11, 2017

Kitesurfing - Downhill - 11th September 2017

Epic conditions tonight at Downhill, nice wind for my new 9 and the longest flats between the waves I've ever seen. Out after work, on the water for about 90 minutes.

Then I tried a down loop waterstart. Epic fail, crashed kite and face plant. Sore, but quickly recovered. Then I tried a back roll, and I really have no idea what happened, but I fell hard on my left side.  Real hard. So hard in fact that I think I have broken more than one rib. They are cracking and popping like mad. 

I suspect I'll be out of the water for a week or two :(

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Kitesurfing Benone 9th September 2017

Today was forecast to be good north west all day, but better in the afternoon with more sunshine. I went to Benone after lunchtime and there were 4 other kite surfers already setting up. They were strangers to me, seemed nice, and also mostly learners, I think.

I set up and set off, but it quickly became apparent that these guys were in my way. Being learners their kites were almost always at 12 o clock and I was upwind of them, meaning I couldn't easily sail past them. The wind was quite onshore too.

So I packed off down the beach, downwind of them. It was great. Great conditions, and the new kites boost a lot more than the old ones. Really enjoying them. I was there for a few hours, just getting to grips with the new kite, and how quick it is compared to my old ones. Great Saturday afternoon!!

Friday, September 08, 2017

Kitesurfing - Benone - Friday 8th September 2017

Forecast looked good for this evening all week, and it actually happened. I don't think I have been this nervous about kitesurfing for ages, taking to the water on a new kite, and not knowing its characteristics.

Anyway, after work I headed straight to the beach, someone else wa kiting, so I went to near them. I took a lot longer than normal to get set up, as I was making sure everything was ok with the gear.

It was quite showery, but between the showers I had a great wee session. This is the first time I easily stayed upwind in a long time. Totally juiced on the new 9.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Kite 5th September

Tonight I went to the beach to try out my new kites. They arrived in the post today, two Ozone C4 kites, 9 and 12.

I was really only hoping to set them up and see what they flew like, but unfortunately there really wasn't enough wind to even do that. Maybe another day.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Kitesurfing 26th Jun 2017

Great wee session this afternoon down at Downhill. Wind was quite changeable, I tried both the 9 and the 12, but settled on the 9. Ended up doing two downwinders from the river to the mouth. Lovely flats between the waves, and nice ramps, up to 6-8 ft at the outside. Cross from the west side. Best day I've had for ages. The 9 is so nimble, makes me wonder if I should change the 12....